anniversary

2:45 PM

It was February 23rd driving through the arizona heat, florence and the machine serenading us with the blue angels flying overhead. It was as if every sound, every piece of nature, every detail along the way was pointing us toward something bigger than an adventure, bigger than ourselves and even bigger than the burrows of New York City. And that is the only way I knew how to explain it: bigger.

Today marks one month of living. They told me living had to be the highest of highs and the lowest of lows and I have experienced both in every form.

I talked to a lady last week. Actually I talked to a lot of ladies, but I remember this one in particular. She was skeptical about invisible children and kony 2012 so I literally engaged in facebook conversation with her for 3 days. She asked about the negative articles and the critics. After I answered all her questions this is what she told me: what you are doing is incredible. "Don't stop. Unlike me, you are young enough to believe that things like this could work" It broke my heart that she could see the good but still not bring herself to believe in it.

When I grow up, I want to be optimistic. I don't want to fear good. I don't want the world to jade me into thinking that things are not possible. NOTHING is impossible. Try me. Literally. People told us it would be impossible to get a bill passed without financial interest. It happened. After that they said it was impossible to get people to care. 130 million views later, it happened. Then they said we couldn't get the rest of the world to care. I have people from macedonia hitting up my phone wondering how they can help, the AU is stepping up and a resolution has been passed to increase efforts. It happened. Say Kony can't be stopped, it is going to happen. Because we are absolutely in love with the impossible.

Critics are the people sitting on couches who somewhere in their life became calloused to hope. I want Kony 2012 to prove them that good works.

Speaking of critics, New York City is full of them. I read this week that 92% of online articles, blogs and comments online are positive. I think the other 8% all must live in New York City. It has taken everything for me to not let myself become bitter towards humanity. I have become louder, I have become resilient, my skin has toughened and my lenses have focused. And what I have realized is that the opposition doesn't matter, because all it is is talk and we have learned through countless of failed peace talks that talk doesn't produce results.

Believe. Politicians are listening to us. The world is listening to us. We are becoming that generation that doesn't have to doubt good things in the future because we have seen the beautiful and the impossible happen.

Here is the proof: http://vimeo.com/m/39084802
.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life.


"If you choose to use your status and influence to raise your voice on behalf of those who no voice; if you choose to identify not with the powerful, but with the powerless; if retain the ability to imagine yourself into the lives of those who not have your advantage, then it will not only be your proud families who celebrate your existence, but thousands and millions of people whose reality you have helped to change. We do not need magic to change the world, we carry all the power we need inside ourselves already: we have the power to imagine better."

- J.K. Rowling

You Might Also Like

0 comments