Here's to the Rebels.

8:42 PM

"Here’s to the crazy ones. The rebels. The troublemakers. The ones who see things differently. While some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do." -Apple



I remember those cookie dough fund-raising sales that we were urged to do in Elementary school. They used to bribe us with prizes like inflatable furniture and walkman's if we sold 500 cases of cookie dough. Lets just say, I usually raised enough to get an eraser. I hate asking people for money and I never found the fun in fund-raising. But I realized it was because I didn't see the point and I didn't need the prize.

Let me tell you about a weekend that changed my life. In August, I attended Invisible Children's Fourth Estate Conference. The conference was made up of 650 of Invisible Children's most prominent activists. I still can not comprehend how someone like me ended up with an invitation. I certainly did not deserve it. When I got there and I entered the breathtaking Shiley Theatre on USD's campus, I received automatic chills that refused to leave me for the next three days. After listening to keynote speakers seen as some of the "greatest minds in America", accumulating ideas, and entering into deep and theological discussions, we slowly turned into something very powerful. We did not feel like 650 people, we felt like a family. And what our family could do together was better than what any of us could do apart. So we made a promise to one another as a family of dreamers, of rebels, of troublemakers to raise one million dollars by December.

Fundraising has a new face to me these days. Maybe because I see the point and the people of East Africa need the prize. I have experienced what this organization has conquered and what it has yet to conquer. This time, I am not raising money for inflatable furniture, I am raising money to end a war. My goal is to "prove the universal through the specific". The conference stressed this over and over again. So I apologize in advance for the constant facebook events, statuses, twitter posts, emails and texts that you may receive from me. I am no soldier, but I have the ability to put on the Armour of God and take the front lines of social justice. Won't you go to war with me?

You Might Also Like

0 comments