The Liebster Award!

3:51 PM



Last week, I was stumbling across my blog comments & noticed that I had been nominated for a Liebster award. I wasn’t sure what it was and I’m sure you probably don’t either. My friend Amanda (who is actually the one who nominated me) explains it like this:

“I had to do a bit of sleuthing to figure out exactly what the Liebster award is… It’s kind of like a chain-email for the undiscovered blogging community, only less sinister and more self-promoting. There isn’t a committee, just one blogger passing it on to another blogger whom they admire or are inspired by.
The Liebster is awarded to new or under recognized bloggers. Once nominated you:
  1. Thank the blogger who nominated you
  2. Answer the questions your nominator sent you
  3. Choose five to ten new bloggers and send them a nomination
  4. Write up seven questions you’d like the bloggers to answer
  5. Let them know you’ve nominated them

Like I said, sounds a bit chain-maily but also like a cool way to get to know the blogging community and show someone you like what they’re doing.”
So thanks Amanda (http://onewanderingsoul.com/)!  I am so honored! I apologize that it has taken me so long to respond to this, I don’t check my blog as often as I should. I’m also excited because Amanda is living in Siem Reap and I’ll be there in less than a week (let’s meet up?!).The blogging community is something that is foreign to me so instead of tagging other bloggers just yet, I’ll use the nomination as motivation to become more involved in the blogging community and seek out other blogs of interest. 

What is your life’s tagline?

Shake the dust. I want it written on my gravestone, as punny as that is. But for now, I have it permanently written on my arm. My tattoo isn’t artsy or colorful, in beautiful calligraphy or in hebrew. It’s just handwriting, but I didn’t get it for other people, I got it as a reminder for me. Anis Mojgani slams some poetry about it, and when I heard it live, it slammed me. Don’t sit around long enough to collect dust, shake it. 

and here is the original piece of poetry, beware of getting slammed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qDtHdloK44

If you could have been a part of any exploratory expedition (e.g. I really wish I could have been one of Thor Heyerdahl’s homies aboard the Kon Tiki), which one would you choose?

If you date far back through my family line, I’m related to Meriwether Lewis, of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. It might be cool to travel the world with my ancestors. Maybe my need to explore new places is actually in my blood. 

Dead or alive, who would you love to take a trip with and where?

When I applied to be a Roadie for Invisible Children two years ago, one of the prompt questions in my application was “Who would I take with me on the road, if I could bring anyone?” The obvious answer was Phoebe from friends (I named my first dog after her). She is unapologetically herself and there is no doubt she wouldn’t have any problem talking to strangers or crafting songs to best help us remember our trip. I also just want an “in” to that friend group, I would pass out if I ever met Jennifer Aniston. 



If your life was a TV show, what would its TV Guide description be?

This summer I worked at my family’s restaurant where 7 out of 9 employees were my cousins, aunt, uncle, second cousin (you get the picture). Not only did we work together but we also lived together. I’m not sure why TLC hasn’t already picked us up for a new show. It would probably be a hybrid spin-off of “Keeping up with the Kardashians” meets “Cake Boss”. My character would be known for her kombucha addiction (it’s a real thing). 


What is your favorite type of cheese?

Havarti (I am especially smitten with Costco’s Dofino Havarti, or just Costco in general)


If you could give your 16-year-old self one piece of advice, what would it be?

STOP STRAIGHTENING YOUR CURLS. 

I was born with a set of bouncy black curls. Honestly, my hair to skin ratio when I was born was 2 to 1. My hair is super thick. I had a hair dresser one time tell me that washing my hair was like wringing out wet dish rags, I cried for weeks. I wanted to be the girl with thin straight hair, the kind you could run your hands through. Instead I had curly tangles. There was a solution and it was called CHI. It took me an average of 45 minutes to straighten the life out of every single curl on my body. I wouldn’t leave the house if it was raining out of fear that my hair would re-curl (did I mention I grew up in Seattle?). It has taken me years to get my natural curls back, and somedays certain hairs refuses to curl, I theorize that they’re still mad at me for the years of heat abuse.
(see what I mean about the ratio?)

You’re stranded on a desert island and can only have one book. Which book do you choose?


Currently, I’m really smitten with Shane Claiborne’s insight. I finished his book, Irresistible Revolution this summer and I want to read it ten times over. He encourages a generation of people to stop “just giving” to the poor but to start joining the poor and loving people in radical ways. If I was stranded on a desert island, I would certainly have enough time to plot a revolution and I think that this book would be the perfect companion.

You Might Also Like

0 comments