June 16th: Watoto

2:02 AM

June 16th:

The morning started out at our friend John’s house. We ate cinnamon rolls and drank darjeeling tea. Listening to John talk about his adventures is like something out of a novel. His life has brought him many miles, from india, to the road, to Gulu. I have an inclination to talk to every white person here, because everybody has a story, everybody has been brought here for a reason.

We headed to church at a place called Wototo. Watoto is one of the largest churches in Gulu, with multiple locations all over Uganda. The energy in the room was too much for even the fans to contain, and we engaged in some sweaty worship. Besides the immense heat, we enjoyed the church. There was a guest pastor from a different Watoto that came and spoke to us on faithfulness. Afterwards, we met up with Stella and met her beautiful little girls. I have been surprised to find that both the churches I have attended, here and in Rwanda, were very similar to ones that I attend in the states. Check them out at http://www.watotochurch.com/

For lunch, we had ethiopian food. Anna, Lindsay and I had Shiro and rice. It was my first experience with Ethiopian food and I absolutely loved it. It reminded me of a curry-type dish made up of mashed peas with ginger, garlic and other spices. One of my favorite parts of the trip have not just been experiencing Ugandan culture but other cultures as well. It is a melting pot here. Traveling with two vegetarians has inspired a no-meat diet during my time here. I thought it would be a difficult task but I have found that most people here don’t eat much meat, in part due to the cost of meat. 


Vicky, a Ugandan roadie from our tour, invited us over for dinner. Watching her cook is art. She cooked us potatoes, rice, beans, and a vegetable dish. She seasoned everything with a seasoning called Royco. It was complete with homemade passionfruit avocado juice. It was my favorite meal that I have had since I have been here.

You Might Also Like

0 comments